Tuesday 5 June 2007

Reactions

My eating condition has led to a stumped social existence/social life. I have had very few friends since child hood and none have ever been close, as I’ve never told them. In fact up till now I’ve not told anyone, the only people who know about my condition is my immediate family. A recent but momentous event for me was telling two people at work about my condition. The first person was told in a relaxed and friendly way and the person was understanding and I felt quite relieved to have finally told someone. Yet at the same time I was very very frightened, I had let someone into my life; albeit in a very small way. I don’t know the person very well but still they know one of my inner most secrets.

The second person was told in a stressed environment when they were pressing me to eat from a buffet for a person, who was leaving. I told them in an attempt to get them off my back. Their reaction was more of a reaction I expect from people, they thought I was a “strange one” as they mentioned someone else they knew who had eating difficulties. These reactions have caused my closed social life and keep me to live in my own world. I fear people generally won’t relate or understand (or even try) and may even mock/make fun of me.

No comments: