Tuesday 28 October 2008

Tips for trying new foods

I've found a few things over the years that have helped me try new things. The first is ensuring I have had a little bit of water/something to drink before trying so my throat isn't too dry. I've also found relaxing helps, e.g. listening to relaxing music or just take a few minutes to breathe, tension/added stress never helps. Another important thing I've realised is that the first time I try something is to not let the goal be to eat it but to just get a sample of it, e.g. it's taste or just it's texture. That I've found helps me register it, and especially a sample of it's taste can make me think of it a few days later and try again.

I used to find strong distraction an important technique but have stopped using it in the last few months as it's only helpful to me in a limited area so learning to be able to relax has become more important. I've also had to learn to chew things properly and slowly as with what I normally eat I can half chew it and not have a problem.

What works for you, I'd be interested to hear you tips and techniques.

No comments: